10 File Management tips
The number of files we use in our daily life is constantly increasing and it is easy to get lost in the storage folders. Cloud services are also leading a lot of businesses to store their information online as it has proven to be safer and more convenient because you can access the data from any device and location.
However, one critical issue rises from this huge amount of information we work with: how can you manage and save your files efficiently? Here are some of our tips.
1. Create a directory with folders and subfolders This will make sure your data will be organized and easy to find.
2. Build a logical hierarchy to facilitate teamwork It is important to state specific standards when storing files and communicate them with the rest of the organization to create a common understanding.
3. Design a common saving procedure for your team Aligning the saving method and criteria across employees will improve coordination and ensure coherent results.
4. Follow a shared file naming style and format Choose a common system to facilitate filtering and ordering of the files. Be careful about using special characters as they are normally not accepted when naming a file.
5. Be specific and add meaningful notes to help refresh your memory when you need a file For instance, you can insert the date in the file name or use abbreviations.
6. Regular backups and updates Make sure to check regularly the proper functioning of your system so that you don’t lose important files.
7. File as you go The best time to save is right when you create a document, so make it a habit to name your work properly and save it in the proper folders.
8. Order and filter for your convenience Once your files are kept in order, it becomes easier to filter out information and to view them in your preferred order.
9. Keep your folders clean Most people tend to accumulate files over time, so it is a good idea to take some time every now and then to have a look at the current files and declutter from potential duplicates or files you don’t need anymore.
10. Use a file management tool to save your business time and money There are several tools that can help you speed up your saving process, so start looking for the ones that fit your organization.
In case you are in need of a tool connecting Outlook and SharePoint to file, store and attach your file, make sure to have a look at Office2SharePoint!
To find out more, visit our website www.o2s.iglobe.dk